Saturday, March 26, 2011

Artichoke, Chive and Goat Cheese Fritatta

Thanks to these gals,  I can get my hands on super fresh, (as in, still warm), beautiful eggs.  They're not mine, but I love them like they were and will one day have chickens of my own.  In the mean time, I'm happy helping my neighbor with her ever-abundant eggs whenever I can.  So this morning, I made great use of ten of these precious gems and made a lovely breakfast.  Fritattas are easy and completely limitless in ingredients.  I used what I had on hand.  I steamed 2 artichokes last night and since we didn't get around to eating them,  they were a perfect addition to the goat cheese and chives.  Always great accompanied by a simple herbed salad.

Artichoke, Chive and Goat Cheese Fritatta
Serves 4-6

1 TBLS butter plus about 1/2 TBLS cut into small dice
10-12 organic eggs, lightly beaten
2 cooked and diced artichoke hearts
3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
a small handful of fresh chived, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

In a bowl, mix eggs gently and add artichoke hearts, chives, salt and pepper.
In a large, cast iron pan, melt butter on med-low heat.  Add egg mixture and gently stir.
Allow eggs to begin to set and add crumbled goat cheese.  Gently combine into setting eggs.  Add the small diced butter tabs evenly over top.
Once the bottom has fully set, place on top rack in oven and broil for about 4 minutes until top in bubbling.  Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: