Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Orange and Ginger Spiced Cranberry Sauce





















 Here we are!  Only one day left to roll out all that food!  Get your engines running and grab those elastic - wasted pants and let the holidays officially begin.  I've got a million things to do and little time so I'm just going to blast this one out before hitting the road dutifully armed with some capers, Brussles Sprouts and this cranberry sauce.
I had a last minute thought last night as I had was cleaning out the fridge and noticed some organic cranberries just staring back at me.  (Random grocery purchase by the husband?).  Anyway, I just started tossing a little bit of this and a little bit of that into the pan and I'll be, it's pretty darn good!  I love it when that happens!  Give it a try if you are feeling adventurous.
Here's to a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!  Cheers!

Orange and Ginger Spiced Cranberry Sauce

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
8 oz fresh cranberries
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp orange zest
1 cinnamon stick
2 whole cardamon seeds, crushed and use the tiny seeds inside (optional)
About 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped.  Add vanilla paste from the inside of the pod. (optional)
Pinch of salt to taste

In a sauce pan, heat the sugar, water and oj.
Once simmering, add cranberries, ginger, orange zest, cinnamon stick cardamon, vanilla and salt.
Simmer until the cranberries soften and pop.  About 10 - 15 minutes.  Remove cinnamon stick.
Taste for seasoning and allow to cool completely until storing in the fridge.

No comments: