Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Orange and Oat Scones


Tomorrow marks the day when I (try to) learn how to tickle the keys of my Quickbooks program (bleh), as I have hired an actual real-life book-keeper to come over and show me the ropes. Now, let me tell you, there is a reason I veered towards a career in food rather than one involving addition and subtraction, so this should be interesting! In an effort to woo my teacher, I decided to make these scones to offer her while she shows me where the plus and minus keys are on located on this very keyboard. So I paid a visit to one of my most favorite food blogs, 101cookbooks, to see what Heidi had to offer. Low and behold, these Orange and Oat scones appeared right before my eyes. And now they have appeared on my kitchen counter! If only accounting was so easy! A simple, easy recipe - give it a try.




The original recipe calls for currants, I substituted raisins.

Orange and Oat Scones
From Heidi Swanson, 101cookbooks.com

3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose, or half of each)
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch or two of salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cubed
2 cups rolled oats
zest of one orange
2/3 cups dried currants, or raisins
sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and pulse to combine.
Add butter and pulse about 20 times, until mixture looks like sandy pearls.
Transfer the dough into a bowl and add oats and zest. Stir to combine.
Add buttermilk and currants - stir until just moistened.

Bring the dough together with your hands - add a splash of buttermilk if too dry- avoid over mixing.
Form roundish balls and place on baking sheet.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until just turning golden.

Makes about 1 dozen

No comments: