Monday, October 26, 2009

Home Made Bath Salts. Gift idea #1...


My sister is getting married next May (yay!), and as the dutiful Maid of Honor, I have been thinking of personal gifts to make to give out as wedding favours. I'm not sure if this task fits in with the requisite duties that the Maid of Honor holds, but I'm doing it, nonetheless - and getting really in to it, I might add! After spending some time in Michael's, (mecca for crafters and scrap-bookers, which I never thought I'd be associated with...), I found the perfect jars, labels, ribbons and stickers, to package my home-made soaking salts. I bought some coarse sea salt and a tiny bottle of lavender essential oil from Whole Foods, and for an added dose of loveliness, I threw a small handful of lavender flowers in to the mix. As soon as the oil met with the salt, a delightful aroma filled the house, invoking calmness. Ahhh, well worth the effort! This is so easy and low budget, it's perfect for the upcoming holiday season or for a sweet and simple hostess gift. Better yet, why not just do it for yourself? : )








Home Made Bath Salts

In a large mixing bowl, add about 4 cups coarse sea salt and mix in a few drops of essential oil (whichever you like), and a handful of dried flowers.
Breath in and relax!

Note: If you are adding dried flowers, pour into a spice sachet to prevent flowers from floating in your bath water.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE these! How cute! Did you find the labels at Michael's too, or did you make them? If you made them, how? They are adorable!

ckeller said...

I made them! The tags are from Staples and the lettering is from Micheals, in the Martha Stewart isle. (yes, she has a line of crafting stuff, which is great, the ribbon is also from her line). The letters are decals. You rub them off and they transfer to paper, glass, etc. Really cool!

Angela said...

I had a bath last night with your salts and felt amazing afterwards! Can't wait for the wedding! Love you, sister!

Unknown said...

Wow! That's so cool... I gotta get me some letters.

Will you please do set decorating for Farm to Table someday?

Unknown said...

I just twittered Martha Stewart to let her know that you were making some awesome stuff with her decals! You know she and I twitter all the time, so I am sure we will hear back momentarily. I mean... she twitters me at least 10 times a day. Her answers to my questions are a little odd though... I'll say, "Martha, would you like to sponsor Farm to Table?" And she will respond, "How many times do you wash your sheets?" It's like she has ADD, but I look past it.

(This story requires knowledge of twitter!)

Hugs,
Molly

ckeller said...

I can't wait till Martha calls me!

Anonymous said...

I love homemade stuff, and I love bath salts and dead sea salts too, so that's definitely a plus.