Friday, July 10, 2009

July 4th, a Retrospective...The Finale














































It seems only fitting to bookend my July 4th trilogy with one last cocktail recipe. I mean, it is a party-prone weekend, and now that I have completely fallen for yummy specialty drinks, I have saved the best for last. If you are going to go through any trouble - whatsoever - to serve something different for your closest friends, do this and you will go down in history as the best drink-maker this side of the prohibition. I saw it on one of my most beloved sites, Design Sponge, and the photos alone got me feeling somewhat giddy. I tried it out with some close friends the day before the big day and I would have made a second batch for the 4th, but it was so good, so unbelievably good, it was long gone before the sun set on the eve of Independence Day.
For someone who isn't fond of gin (me), you'd be surprised at how delightful the gin actually tastes here. Hendrick's Gin is infused with cucumber and rose, so you can see why this drink is a marriage made in booze-y heaven. Take the time to prepare everything in advance and when you're ready, it's just as simple as measuring and shaking and then drinking!

Cardamon-Rose Cocktail
This makes 1 drink:

1.5 oz. Hendrick's Gin
.75 oz. rose syrup
.25 oz. fresh lime or lemon juice
.75 oz. fresh grapefruit juice - ruby red
2 dashes Peychauds Bitters
1 cardamon pod
club soda

Lightly muddle cardamon pod in bottom of shaker, not too much as the flavor could over power.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Add ice
Shake for 20 seconds
Pour into glass
Add a splash of club soda on top
Garnish with rose petals or lemon wedge.











No comments: