Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rosé Sangria

We had some friends over yesterday - a great mix of people - all just hoping to sit in the sun and have a few cocktails.  In order to get them to drive up the long and windy road to our house, I enticed with booze,
rosé sangria, to be exact.  And from the way the rest of the afternoon went, (and into the night), I think that this is an excellent addition to your next summer time soiree.  

I adapted this from a Martha Stewart recipe I found in one of my favorite entertaining cookbooks.  If you like to entertain - you have to pick up her Hors D' Oeuvres Handbook.  It's fantastic not only for recipes, but the photos are beautiful and inspiring.

In all honesty, I don't really like most sangrias - they always seem to sweet and the burgundy is too heavy, but I thought rosé might be the ticket.  This version is very light and refreshing - and I added grapefruit chunks give it some zip.   Martha's recipe calls for 1/4 cup sugar, but after I made the first round, I didn't think that was necessary, so I omitted it in the next round(s). Besides, sugar tends to exacerbate that possible headache in the morning.  

Rosé Sangria
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Hor D'Oeurvres Handbook, 1999
Makes six 6-ounce drinks

6 oz. assorted grapes
24 oz. Rosé wine (1 bottle)
3 1/2 oz. tequila
3 1/2 oz. cranberry juice
1 ruby red grapefruit, remove peel and cut into chunks
fresh lime wedges, for garnish

Place grapes in a single layer on a sheet pan and freeze, 
over night, or until frozen solid.
Combine remaining ingredients in a 3 quart pitcher and add 
frozen grapes.
Serve with ice and garnish with lime wedge.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ohh... this sounds so good on a hot sunny day! Thanks for the recipe, and I can't wait to check out that Martha Stewart book. She's amazing.